In cases of advanced gum disease and tooth decay, teeth may need to be extracted. Some patients can develop impacted wisdom teeth, which could cause intense pain. This is alleviated by having them surgically removed. One area in which it is possible for dentists to specialise is oral surgery, an umbrella term for all dental procedures involving surgery, such as the extraction of teeth or wisdom teeth. It is always important to get the advice of a dental professional if you are worried about any of your teeth. Never attempt to pull out your own tooth at home as this could cause a more serious problem.
Tooth extractions typically involve the following:
- Before the procedure you may require an x-ray of your teeth
- You will be given local anaesthetic to make the area numb. Don't worry, you won't feel any discomfort
- Dentists have the right equipment and sterile environment to extract teeth with the utmost care. Your recovery can be surprisingly quick
- Safe and sterile procedure
- Sustained good oral health